Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Words by her beloved son, David Levy


The Joys of Being a Momma's Boy

Although I never really considered myself a momma's boy, per se, my mom and I did have a really special relationship. As far back as I can remember... and that's pretty much back to the beginning... I have vivid memories of us being together. She would drag me everywhere; to the store, on the train to Manhattan, to concerts at Lewisohn Stadium at CCNY, to the Brighton Beach, Coney Island, Plum Beach, City Island, Prospect Park, Central Park  and so many other wonderful places  for a very young boy to discover and learn about the multicultural life in New York City.  One indelible memory of our times together as a small child was the way she would take tissue out of her purse, lick it and wipe dirt or food off my face. I can still remember the smell of that tissue to this day.

Even though, over the years we became political opposites, I will never ever forget how my political and social outlook was forged by her own views of "peace", "ban the bomb", tolerance for others' differences, etc.  For example, when I was about six years of age (circa 1956), I would look at all my mom's books and magazines she kept on a black wire rack in the room I called my bedroom (actually shared with my dad who worked at night). The publications that most piqued my curiosity were those published by Grove Press, called Evergreen Review, a world renowned "Beat Generation" periodical that opened my eyes to so many "radical"  ideas, such as alternative lifestyles, racial equality, world peace and drug addiction. At that time, these were somewhat "underground" concepts. The bottom line is that I have always believed in what she was teaching  me and lived my life accordingly.

No matter  how our personal views at the time of her passing differed, she was always the fairest and most honest woman in the world and I will keep her life lessons with me for ever.
Not only was Lynda Chiu my mother, she was always my best friend and confidant and her passing has left a void in my life I may never fill again. Maybe that's the way it should be. After all, there is no one in the world that could fill her shoes so I'll have to hang on to her memory and keep her in my prayers each and every night. I know she's up there checking up on me so I must keep on being her "momma's boy" and keep making her proud.

Rest In Peace mother. I will always love you and your spirit for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment