Saturday, January 19, 2013

(*) Words from Local Janeites

Lynda was the local chapter coordinator for the Jane Austen Society. 



Lynn Cooksey: I knew Lynda Chiu through the Jane Austen Society.  I have been attending this group for about 6 or 7 years.  I first came through an invitation from my friend, Barbara Merello.  We studied the books written by Jane Austen. While I knew that Lynda Chiu’s name was Lynda, half the time I called her Jane because she was my authority on Jane Austen. She always analyzed Jane Austen’s comments in her books and what issue they were really addressing. She also asked the group questions about Jane Austen. Lynda, or my Jane, was just a precious person and always had wonderful comments to make about all the members of our group. We all loved her.

Ayne Ray: Lynda was an incredibly warm, witty, and caring person who will be greatly missed by all those who knew her. Her passion for knowledge and love of stimulating intellectual conversation truly made the Jane Austen book club one of my favorite activities, and I will always remember her warm nature and how generous she was to be when I first joined; Lynda greeted me with open arms and always made me feel welcome and at home. I was always delighted by her wonderful insights into Jane's life and books, and her astute comments perpetually livened the conversation and our appreciation of Jane's works. Lynda was passionate and knowledgeable about so many things, and her curiosity about the world around her will always be an inspiration. I give great thanks for having the opportunity to know Lynda and will miss her very much. She was a great lady indeed. 

Barbara Shelby Merello: Isn’t it fitting that, as proper, Charles and Lynda met at a dance? Surely Jane would have approved, especially since his and her tastes and interests coincided so well. 

What a remarkable woman Lynda was! And what a pleasure it was to learn from her and enjoy a civilized afternoon, especially when the world seemed foolish or frightening. 

It’s easy to imagine the two ladies comfortably taking tea. Lynda would surely tell Jane that thousands of people are reading her novels all over the world, and always will. 

How much we’ll miss her and how grateful we are to have known her. 

Judith Michaels: Lynda Chiu, Barbara Merello, who is in the audience, and other Jane Austen Society members extended a welcome to me into their literary group. I don't specifically recall the Austen novel at that time, but there was a lot of bubbly comment and discussion around the table at the Austin History Center. Further gatherings divulged the secrets of "Pride and Prejudice", "Emma", "Mansfield Park", "Northanger Abbey", "Sanditon", "Persuasion" and more of Jane’s writings. 

Part of the attraction of meetings was Lynda's sweet character, her desire for learning at every possible moment  on any subject, and especially her being a factual resource about Jane’s English Regency writings of which she was always proved correct and of which she owned fifteen bookshelves. Is there any better mentor? 

Something even more drew me--her heartfelt interest in everybody’s unique abilities, her warm manner and impeccable manners, her conscious presence in a room, and her good "Sense and [tender] Sensibility". She was open to ideas even on a subject she had formed a definite opinion; she was absolutely fair and welcomed unexpected guests during meetings. She encouraged fanciful suggestions, yours or hers (!), to blossom into an absorbing presentation. If the result didn't absorb everybody’s complete attention, well, even though you took pleasure in creating it, she later gave you a quizzical look; if she really liked it, she enthusiastically and surprisingly restated her praise even months afterward. 

So, this eulogy is my hug for Lynda Chiu whose sparkling eyes, serene presence, excellent mind, and inner glow linger in my heart and thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment